10 things you must do after the accident
If you get involved in a road accident, there are some things you can do to protect yourself including consulting a car accident lawyer. Below is a list of the top ten things you should do if you meet with an accident:-
- STOP. Never run away from the scene of an accident, not even a minor one.
- PROTECT THE SCENE. You can prevent further accidents to happen by keeping precautions and following the road safety rules.
- CALL THE POLICE. Even if there are no big injuries, it’s best to call the cops. You may need a report to file a claim with your insurance company for a small claim like a damaged car also.
- MAKE AN ACCURATE RECORD. When the cops arrive, tell the investigating officer exactly what had happened, to the best of your memory. Do not speculate or guess any of the facts. In case you are unsure about the injury, say you are not sure. Also, make sure that the statements made by other persons involved in the accident are accurate.
- TAKE PICTURES. Click the pictures of your vehicle and injuries (if visible) with your phone or camera whatever you have. If you can’t take snaps at the time of the accident, take them as soon as possible after the accident.
- EXCHANGE INFORMATION. Basically, the investigating police officer takes note of this information. But if the police do not respond to the accident, you should note down the name, address and telephone number of all persons involved in the accident including drivers and passengers. Take details of accident insurance for all vehicles involved in the accident. If there are eyewitnesses, take information from them as well so that you or your lawyer can contact them in the future.
- REPORT THE ACCIDENT. Report your insurance company as soon as possible. Many policies require reporting on an immediate basis. Find out if you have medical benefits as part of your insurance coverage.
- SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. The injuries by vehicle accidents are not immediately apparent. You feel the pain in a day or two, so it’s better to even seek medical attention.
- KEEP A FILE. Keep all your documents and information together. This information should include a claim number, the claim’s adjuster who is handling the claim, names and phone numbers of all contacts.
- PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS. Last but not least, you should do after an accident is to consult your car accident lawyer. This way you can protect your rights. Do not destroy the proofs. Insurance companies want to take statements immediately after an accident. It is important that you have legal advice before providing such a statement. Your lawyer will advise you on issues ranging from how to make sure you are fully compensated for your vehicle to how to make sure you are getting the best medical treatment available.