How can you sue for compensation under the Tort Claim Act?

Many forms of compensation after an accident are always straightforward. Compensation for Tort claims is always complicated because it is always difficult due to the difficulty of determining the monetary value to reward. It is easy to calculate the cost of wage loss and treatment injury expenses, on the other hand determining how to compensate for the loss of earning opportunity, pain and suffering can be difficult

Here are the essentials you need to about the Tort Claims Act.

The federal Tort Claims Act of 1946 is a statute that permits private parties to sue the United State in a federal court for most torts committed by an individual acting on behalf of the State.

Who is covered under the Federal Tort Claims? 

Any person who is injured or their property is damaged as a result of negligence by a federal employee in the line of authorized duty may sue the state for compensation for the damage and injuries.

Federal Tort Claims Act Procedures to follow

The first thing to consider will be whether the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) will apply to your suit. If your suit will be dimmed not falling under this act, the doctrine of sovereign immunity will bar you from bringing it up. The FTCA only allows compensation to be awarded in the event an injury is caused by negligence actions of government employees. If your claim occurs under any of these circumstances, it will be permitted.

The next step will be to file an administrative claim. This Federal Tort Claims should be filed with the federal agency that you believe is guilty of the misconduct. For example, if a postal van hits you while walking your pet, you will go ahead and file with the United States Postal Service. You will then be provided with a check-the-box claim form that you will use. It is advisable to work with an experienced lawyer who has dealt with injury matters before against the government.

There is a time limit for filing a case under the Federal Tort Claims Act, which is within a two-year period. It is advisable to file the case immediately by submitting detailed facts and damages. The government or any other party may defend on the grounds of lateness if you take long to file the case under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

The next step after filing your claim is for the responsible agency to respond under FTCA within a period of six months. The agencies may choose to deny your claim or refuse to pay the total sum you want to be compensated. When this happens, you will have another six months of waiting from the time the agency mail the decision, to file a lawsuit against that agency. In an instance the agency fails to come up with a decision within the six-month time plan, you may go ahead and sue them. You can also wait for your administrative duty to elapse by waiting for the agency to give you feedback even though the agency may take longer than six months. In an event of multi-party cases that consist of non-governmental defendants, you don’t need to wait to consult a lawyer about your case, and you don’t need to wait for that six-month period to file a case.

Generally, your case will be filed in the United States District Court where you stay or where the incident reportedly took place. It is worth noting that you cannot sue the federal government in state courts or recover punitive damages. You will also not ask for more compensation which is above your administrative claim under the Federal Tort Claims Act unless you are able to come up with a newly discovered submission.

Comments are closed.