As of today, medical treatments have become incredibly advanced. However, the potential for occasional medical accidents is not completely eliminated. That means medical accidents can still take place even if we live in a very advanced society. Things can be really unfortunate when a medical accident happens during childbirth. With that said, there are five main types of birth traumas which are listed below.
- Bleeds (known as intracranial hemorrhages), brain injuries, and soft tissue injuries
Intracranial hemorrhages are bleeds that happen inside the skull. There are several types of it.
- Cerebral hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain in the form of a stroke).
- Intraventricular hemorrhage (bleeding occurs in the ventricular system of the brain). This is the most serious case.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding in subarachnoid space).
- Subdural hemorrhage or subdural hematoma (bleeding due to rupture of blood vessels found in the subdural space).
- Cephalohematoma (bleeding happens in between the skull and the covering).
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (which is also known as HIE). It happens due to a lack of oxygen or poor blood flow during labor.
- Peripheral nerve birth injury
This situation can occur as a result of an injury occur in brachial plexus. As a result, the infant will not be able to flex and rotate the arm. Although it can cure itself, torn nerves can eventually lead to permanent damages as well.
- Cranial nerve and spinal cord birth injury
This term refers to the injuries that happen to the verves and spinal cord due to improper pulling, rotating the baby or overstretching during the delivery of the baby. There are two types of it.
- Facial nerve paralysis
- Spinal cord injury
- Bone birth injury
There are the fractures that occur when breech deliveries, the birth of large babies or even shoulder dystocia.
- Fractures in long-bone
- Separation of bone-cartilage
- Fractures in collarbone or clavicle bone
Are types of bone birth injuries.
- Intra-Intra-abdominal birth injury
These are the rarest birth injuries of all. However, if they occur, the damage can be severe and the liver will be affected majorly.
Traumatic birth injuries can cut down by 50% with proper planning of birth. However, if you have enough reasons to suspect that your child is a victim of birth injury, you can consult your lawyer and see what you can do.
This article provided by Wagners Personal Injury Lawyers in Halifax
1869 Upper Water St, Suite PH 301
3rd Floor, Pontac House
Halifax, NS, B3J 1S9 Canada